"We would have no hesitation in recommending the company to other housing associations considering footprinting"
Cymdeithas Tai Eryri (CTE) is a social enterprise providing affordable housing and support to older, disabled, homeless and other vulnerable people. CTE asked Best Foot Forward to measure the ecological and carbon footprint of its offices and housing stock.
The study found that the housing stock is responsible for the overwhelming share of the carbon and ecological footprints (97% of the total) while offices are responsible for the remaining 3%. Within the housing stock, energy consumption within homes is responsible for most of the footprint – around 85% of the total. This means that the biggest reductions can be achieved by improving the energy performance of the existing homes and striving to build homes that fall into Level 6 of the Code for Sustainable Homes. Further savings can be achieved by encouraging residents to make better use of energy.
CTE can also take steps to reduce its office footprint. Travel (i.e. commuting and business travel) is responsible for almost two thirds of the total office carbon footprint. By implementing simple reduction measures (e.g. using fuel efficient vehicles) travel related emissions could be reduced considerably. By reducing office energy consumption and introducing sustainable procurement CTE can reduce total office emissions by 14% compared to 2009 levels. Implementing a more ambitious plan (i.e. adopting a zero waste strategy, sourcing all energy from renewables generated on site) could reduce the footprint even further.
This is the first study done for any Welsh housing association. It provides a basic methodology, differentiating between impacts which CTE have direct control over (e.g. office, maintenance) and those which they only influence (emissions from the occupation of the housing stock). The study is being shared with other housing associations as an example of best practice, in cooperation with Community Homes Cymru and the Welsh Assembly Government.
Ben Gregory, Community Officer at CTE, said: “Best Foot Forward provided advice and support which went beyond our original agreement, which has been valuable to us in producing the necessary timetable for action. We will be continuing our relationship with Best Foot Forward as we implement our plan, and would have no hesitation in recommending the company to other housing associations considering footprinting.”
© 2013 Best Foot Forward Limited.The Future Centre, 9
Newtec Place, Magdalen Road, Oxford OX4 1RE, United Kingdom. Best Foot Forward Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales with comp any number 3409491. VAT number 685888061.
RSS feed Subscribe to our newsletter Tel: +44 (0) 1865 250818 mail@ bestfootforward.com